[Sca-cooks] Cooking Rice

Barbara G. Dodge awench1 at cox.net
Mon Nov 11 07:55:51 PST 2002

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

[snip]

> So, what other 'make-ahead casserole' type dishes
> can people think of from medieval recipes? I know
> there are pilafs in the Andalusian cookbook, but
> I've heard that some people have issues with
> re-warmed rice...

I have had great success when cooking large amounts of rice by treating it
somewhat like pasta.  To do this, use half again as much water as you would
normally cook the rice in, add your rice, and add a little extra salt, bring
to a boil.  As the rice cooks, you have this cushion of water that will keep
your rice from burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Stir your rice
once in a while.  Check your rice for donness by tasting it.  When it is
cooked to your liking, drain it in a collander.  I used my standard pasta
collander, and lost only a few grains of rice down the drain.  If this is a
major concern, Line you collander with a layer of cheese cloth befor
draining your rice. When you cook rice this way, it will lose some of the
flavor and starchiness, so adjust your seasonings accordingly.

Felicia