[Sca-cooks] Cooking Rice

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Nov 11 09:54:22 PST 2002

My system for large amounts of rice goes as follows:

1. Bring the water to a boil.

2. Add the rice, bring the water back to a boil, stirring
occasionally to keep it from sticking at the bottom. This isn't much
of a problem because the rise isn't soft and sticky yet.

3. Cover the pot, remove it from the stove, and let it finish cooking
by its own heat.

This method both prevents sticking and frees up a burner. It does
require that you are making large quantities--five or six gallons,
say.