[Sca-cooks] re: kanten/agar flakes

moxy moxy at siempremail.com
Wed Nov 13 10:21:52 PST 2002

thank you for the welcome -- been so busy reading the fast and furious
postings from this group that i haven't had time to compose my own answers
to your questions. but i can contribute this bit of information about
kanten (agar flakes):

don't know a direct substitution equation, but maybe this recipe will help
with proportions. (sorry, it's not period.)

Apple Raisin Kanten (8 servings)
4 apples, diced
1 quart apple juice
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup raisins
6 to 8 tablespoons agar flakes
Place apples, juice, salt and raisins in a pot. Stir in agar flakes and
bring to a boil. Reduce flame to low and simmer for several minutes until
apples are soft. Pour apples and liquid into a dish or mold, spreading
fruit evenly throughout dish. Refrigerate or keep cool until jelled (about
an hour). When kanten is firm, slice into squares and serve. For kanten
with a softer consistency, use less agar; serve spooned into bowls.

I also have a recipe for split pea aspic (yes, pretty nasty looking,
especially considering my childhood fear of aspic) that -- for 12 servings
-- uses 6 tablespoons of agar flakes per 5 cups liquid and about 2.5 cups
solids.

hth,
the unintentionally mysterious Mox