Spreading spices (was Re: [Sca-cooks] hats, andperiod spectacles)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 19 12:57:41 PST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:06:08 -0600 "Decker, Terry D."
<TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> wrote:

> It is a Medieval practice according to some
> sources.  The little finger was
> used to dip and spread spices at the table.  It
> was kept extended while
> eating and drinking to keep it from grease and
> food which would contaminate
> the spices.
>
> I haven't chased down the contemporary
> etiquette manuals to see what they
> say, so I take it with a grain of salt--on my
> extended pinky.

According to some period books of manners, the proper way to take salt is on
the tip of your knife -- after you have wiped it clean on a piece of bread.

I don't recall any "spice" other than salt being mentioned as being served on
the dining table.

Brighid ni Chiarain