[Sca-cooks] 44 lb turkey

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Nov 26 06:55:41 PST 2002

Fascinating, as the turkeys that normally make it to the store are inthe
9-12 month range, and top out to about 20-22 lbs. Our 44 and 46 lb turkeys
were both 19 months old. My parents took theirs to a friends resteraunt and
used a commercial oven as they got the 46 pounder. They found they had the
same problem we had.

We cooked the 44 pounder named Giblette, had to modify the oven and make a
roasting pan for it. It measured 20 inches neck hole to end of pope's nose,
was 19 inches side to side and 19 inches from spine to breastbone. We joked
about cooking a pteradactyl. It took 8# hours, and still we had to recook
the legs and most of the carcass into a soup because due to the exercise
gotten in its short but well fed life made the muscles rock hard. Made an
incredible stew, though. Nobody would have been able to actually eat the
dark meat without some serious recooking no matter what.

Must be the difference in a battery bird and a free range bird.

margali
and the poor guy off the boat that Rob invited over didn't realize exactly
how fresh the turkey was...until he saw rob walking out the door with the
boarding cutlass and whetstone;-)

the quote starts here:

Hi .sorry for butting in but the younger the turkey the quicker it will
cook, Had a44 pound turkey that cooked to the bone  in two hrs. fortyfive
min.    From chirhart