[Sca-cooks] kosher soda

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Wed Nov 27 10:54:31 PST 2002

corn products are *off limits* for Ashkenazi Jews during Passover.

any soda labeled "Kosher for Passover" or marked with a "P" next to the
Kosher symbol (usually also in the Passover aisle of your local
supermarket.. and they use a different color of cap sometimes) is made with
SUGAR... not corn syrup.
we buy it every year!!!!!

as to the sugar/kosher question........
*some* sugar is refined using pig blood (or was.... I don't know if they
still do) but that sugar is NOT kosher.  most of the sugar should have a
small "K" or a "U in a circle" or something indicating that it is NOT
processed with animal product.  this sugar is kosher.

this can be important for vegetarians too, incidentally.

oh. and in the Rabbis decisions can be very strange department..... Gelatin,
made from animals is considered kosher and pareve (not meat) because it has
been refined so far from its origins.
Kirsten
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
http://www.fabricdragon.com

"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."