[Sca-cooks] Sugar Free Meringue

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 28 04:56:36 PST 2002

I tested out Splenda with a pumpkin pie and a lemon meringue pie.  Haven't
truly taste tested them yet.

The pumpkin filling tasted fine.  The lemon filling was too sweet.  The
meringue was flat.

Splenda for baking is between granulated sugar and powdered sugar.   Equal
volumes of Splenda and sugar match on the weight ratio of approximately 2
oz. Splenda = 16 oz. sugar.  However, I still find Splenda to be about twice
as sweet as sugar.

I cut the Splenda in the pumpkin pie in half after the lemon came out too
sweet.

The meringue works but didn't get to where I wanted it either due to the use
of Splenda or bad technique (I do need practice).

I'll post recipes later, after I give lemon meringue another turn around the
block.

Bear