[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Zabaglione

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 3 21:20:01 PST 2002

Maire commented:
> I'd think a non-grape wine would work well.  Apple, or pear, or maybe
> mead.  You'd have to be careful, though, to make sure it wasn't blended
> with grape-based wine, which some of them seem to be.
Unfortunately, you are correct on this. I've found I have to look

carefully at even mead labels because many of the commercial meads
are more of a honey-flavored wine than a true mead.

The best bet, for mead, would be to check with your local brewers or

if you have the time to wait, brew your own. Making mead is rather
easy. I used to do it.

You might also check this file in the BEVERAGES section of the

Florilegium if you would like to purchase your mead. I can't guarantee
that these aren't artificial, but the odds are better that they aren't.

meadery-list-msg  (26K)  4/ 4/02    Lists and reviews of commercial meaderies.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/meadery-list-msg.html

A year or two ago, we were visiting the wineries in Fredricksburg, TX
and I was talking to the master brewer at one of them. It seems that
he wanted to supply the Texas Renaissance Festival with mead. They
judged his the best of those they had sampled, but they wanted rock
bottom prices and he couldn't do it at their price and still make
real mead with just honey, water and the usual additions. So, who
knows what TRF is serving for "mead" now.

Economics of production is also very likely why mead drinking declined
as the Middle Ages progressed in comparison to beer, wine and other
beverages. For anyone doing period price research the price of mead
over time and the other beverages might be an interesting research
project.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com