[Sca-cooks] Once again venturing blindly so I need help.

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 4 05:50:16 PST 2002

>Hi All,
>Just need a few tidbits of advice...
>First off I am using the "Stained Glass Candy"  Recipe from the Boke of
>Gode Cookery Website.
>Now my first question is more of a confirmation than a question.
>Instead of the nice clear color I was getting early on, my final
>product turned a lovely shade of amber.  I assume that this means that I
>burned the sugar in trying to get it to hot to quick  Not a problem I
>just know that next time I can't rush it and try and get it to 310
>degrees by turning up the heat.... That is a correct assumption right?
>
>Now this is most important... How do I get the residual leftover candy
>off of the pan?  I mean Geez this stuff solidifies in like 2 minutes!!!!
>I now have pan candy.
>
>But of course there is another question...
>Ok How solid is that 310 degrees? I ask this because I had some pretty
>candy at about 250 degrees and it was solidifiing rather well in cold
>water.  So rather than running the risk of burning it would it be better
>to go with the lower temp?
>Thanks for any help.
>And Yes Olwen I am photo documenting this...
>;)
>Nichola

Good for us!  She's photographing it!

To clean the pan, put it on the stove or in the broiler then add a little
water and boil the candy down.  That should take care of that.  Next time,
foil your pan first.  If you crinkle the foil it will stick in the cracks
though so be cautious.  As far as temperature goes, I never check that.  I
just go by feel and looks.
Olwen