[Sca-cooks] Marzipan and Chocolate question...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 6 16:35:34 PST 2002

Try 1528 with the return of Cortez.  The Spanish appear to have first
encountered chocolate (as a beverage) in Mexico.  The name derives from the
Nahautl "xocolatl" meaning "bitter water."

Having encountered it and bringing it back to Spain doesn't imply that it it
was used in Spain at that time.

Bear