[Sca-cooks] shoes was Atlantian Crown Tourney Pictures

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Nov 7 05:30:23 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Well, it may not have been clear, but I really
> wasn't picking on Olwen for wearing the mundane
> shoes with the fancy garb. Nor was I demanding that
> she should. I do think the mundane sports shoes
> were rather obvious, at least in that picture.

[snip]

You were making helpful not negative comments.

Footwear is a very complex issue in everything we
do these days.  e.g., footwear for hiking cannot
be worn for jogging; furthermore, jogging shoes are
totally unsuitable for for off-trail/rock scrambles.

That specific point was made by my children's ballet
teacher in the late 70's.

Whenever I encourage newcommers to attend SCA (or
even Ren Faires) in some kind of garb, I tell them
to wear comfortable footwear because they will be
walking around all day.

I also recall reading a NYTimes article on the
footwear worn by profesional chefs in NYC.  Same
concerns as above: on your feet all day, comfortable,
non-slip; protection against hot spills, ... fashion
was hardly a concern.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl