[Sca-cooks] casserole type dishes

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sun Nov 10 13:13:04 PST 2002

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

[snip]

> So, what other 'make-ahead casserole' type dishes
> can people think of from medieval recipes? I know
> there are pilafs in the Andalusian cookbook, but
> I've heard that some people have issues with
> re-warmed rice...

For that matter, I've heard that people have issues
with cooking industrial sized quantities of rice.  <g>

I don't know if orzo (rice shaped pasta) was known
in the place and at the time of the source you are
using ... but, ...

I do know that once the water is boiling, it cooks
in 9-11 minutes.  In addition, unlike rice, the
recomended amount of water prevents it from sticking
to the pot during cooking and does not need constant
tending.

Pastina offers similar advantages, and a shorter
cooking time.

... But is it period?

If cooking large quantities of pasta, plan in advance
how the cooked product will be drained.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl