[Sca-cooks] Atenveldt feasts (long) was Crown Tourney menu

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Sun Nov 10 16:00:25 PST 2002

The published menu for Atenveldt coronation did list a green salad with a
vinagrette and I heard that the cook had planned to make tarts of some type
when mundane issues came up. This person was reputed to be a good cook and
at least nothing was burnt or underdone.
I went to a small shire this weekend (it's why I couldn't be there to cheer
on Gunthar and the rest of my Baronies cooking team.-I can't wait to here
their report). This group put on there first Shire A&S defender's tourney
and A&S competition and my mistress had asked me and my daughter to go with
her to judge A&S. Their feast started with appetizer's an hour before feast
started. These were seafood, spinach with dates, spinach with onions and
fresh onion dips in frenchbread loafs, crackers and french breads and
platters of fresh vegetables including whole pealed small onions and two
kinds of grapes. There were also small cups of salmon mousse. While the
appetizers were being served we set up our feast gear and small cups of
almond, honey, herb and plain butters, pickles, raisins, fruit glaze, strong
mustard wear placed on the tables along with platters of sliced french
bread. When feast was served, the serving table was filled first with a
thick meaty soup served out of a pumpkin and a bowl (for a shire member
alergic to pumpkin). Soon it was followed by roast pork and brown gravy and
sweetened yams with pecans and appples stewed with nuts and spices. After
this course, while the diners were seated, small cups of rasberry sorbet
were brought to the tables as a pallet cleanser. Then kabobs of meat,
veggies and mushrooms were served with steamed rice. For desert we were
served brandied or virgin cherries with a very mundane pound cake and ice
cream. At this time the makers of the A&S brewing and spirits categories
offered to share their entries with the populace. The ones I heard about
were a persimmon cordial, an anise cordial and a young apple wine. The
entertainment included an attack by us out of shire folks on the cook (a
very old freind) with those folded paper fortune tellers. It's kind of an
in-joke in the shire. This was not period I admit, but it was one of the
funnest feasts I've attended in a long time.

Cecily