[Sca-cooks] crown tourney menu

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Nov 11 07:51:19 PST 2002

Well, jsut speaking off the cuff here - nutritionally, that IS a meal. You
have your basic protein loadout [chicken leg quarter, salted nuts] a basic
veggie [acorn squash half] Carbs in the form of bread, pie crust and pearl
barley, and fruit in the form of the grapes and apple pie.

Just using my Corinne Netzer, I make it out to be: [note, i defaulted to
base portions not being there and seeing what was actually served...] format
- calories, protein, carbs, fat, cholesterol, sodium, fiber

cheese, 1 oz          : 110 :6    :0     :9    :30    :190    :0
nuts, 1 oz            : 170 :6    :6     :15   :0     :115    :2
grapes, 10 medium     : 15  :.2   :4.1   :.1   :0     :trace  :.3
bread, 1/9th loaf     : 130 :4    :19    :1    :0     :230    :5 -
pepperidge farm heat and serve
butter, 1 tbsp        : 100 :0    :0     :11   :30    :0	  :0 - sweet
unsalted
acorn squash, 1/2 cup : 57  :1.1  :14    :9    :.1    :4      :2.9
barley, 1 cup cooked  : 193 :3.6  :44.3  :.7   :0     :5      :6
chicken dark quarter  : 317 :40.5 :0     :20   :131   :122    :0
pie, apple. 1/8th     : 310 :2    :44    :14   :0     :380    :1 - mrs smith

totals out to         :1402 :63.4 :125.4 :94.8 :191.1 :832    :17.2

Personally, that is over half the calories and about triple the carbs I get
in a day. It is also 3x the rda of protein.

What more do you need? A  traditional groaning board? Personally I could do
without the acorn squash, Id rather have a nice hubbard squash soup which
would have gone nicely with the bread, butter and nibbles. I probably would
have added a salad however.

I could see a very picky eater going home hungry - but not a bad meal. I
have paid for similar meals in resteraunts without a quibble, and seen many
otehr people do so. It is about what you would get at home.
margali

> I've never had armoured turnips or tarts for Ember day at an event. Our
> latest coronation feast contained: First course: trays of cheese cubes
> (cheddar and colby jack etc.) salted mixed nuts and seedless red grapes
and
> a partially sliced half loaf of french bread with an herb butter. Next we
> were served quarters of acorn squash baked and sprinkled with cinnamon.
The