[Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Nov 12 03:52:15 PST 2002

Also sprach david friedman:
>>also, i seem to recall a sermon ranting about how some tables were done up
>>with vegetarian foods that were disguised to look like meat. and this wasnt
>>really "fasting"
>>so there are some reasons to hold that vegetarian "meat substitutes" were
>>period.. just maybe not the exact ones we use.
>
>But since we have plenty of recipes for period vegetarian dishes,
>including period ones pretending not to be vegetarian, why not use
>the exact ones they used, instead of modern fake meat?

I think the point was to find something fitting the rather vague
criteria (and avoiding the stated pitfalls, such as they are), from
among the existing recipes. Yes, the spectre of the dreaded tofurkey
came to my mind in this instance, as well.

>>"Did you vote?  No?   Then don't come whining to me...."
>
>As it happened, this year I did vote. But the outcome would have been
>the same if I hadn't. I don't see how taking an action that has
>essentially no chance of changing the outcome gives me any more
>justification to complain about the outcome than if I hadn't taken it.

Ya know, I keep promising myself I'm not going to comment on this,
but I will say that we've reached the point where it is probably
actively deceitful and immoral to suggest that people not voting is
the root of the problem, especially after we've proven that the
popular vote can be made very quickly irrelevant. Yes, it would be
nice if everyone eligible to vote, did, but it would also be nice if
doing so made a difference in the end. I went out into the rain and
voted, just as I always do. Is that going to grant my whining some
kind of special status to the appointee in power? Certainly it has
not affected who is in power, or the policy allegedly enacted in my
name.

Adamantius