[Sca-cooks] vegetarian

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 12 07:26:35 PST 2002

<Jadwiga> Depends on what you mean by 'good veggies' too. Starches and
vegetables
> around here generally run less than $1/lb except for asparagus, snap peas,
> broccoli & Cauliflower. Rice, barley, wheat berries, etc. I can get easily
> for less than $1/lb. I wish I could regularly get red meat for less than
> $1/lb!
>
> Where do you live?

Greetings,

I really need to get off of this list, it truly is a giant hole into which I
pour my time :)

I live in Atlanta, GA. But I buy my meats at places that I believe are
nationwide. I get both beef and pork at our local Sam's club. I go in ahead
of time and talk to the butcher about what I need and when I need it. If you
are buying large quantities then they give you great discounts for cases. I
then call him the week of the event and he tries to make sure that there are
cases sent in the next shipment that are close to the weight I need - ie: if
his pork butt has been running 50 lbs a case and I need 40 - 45 he will ask
them to send him a couple of light cases, or heavier cases as need be.

If you are buying small amounts you just need to shop weekly. At least once
a month they run specials at the .99/lb rate for both chuck & pork butt.
Just have a freezer ready!

Chicken is another beast altogether - expensive! and really just a fast
vegatable. ;) I was thinking of asparagus, snap peas and their ilk. At a
recent feast I helped a friend with the cost of the peas were more than the
cost of his pork. Crazy!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva