[Sca-cooks] crown tourney menu

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Tue Nov 12 11:08:05 PST 2002

I apologize in advance if I step on any toes with this post.  It could
happen, and is not intended.  First, I would never have eaten at this
meal due to the issues I would see with $8 for that menu.  Expertly
cooked in a retail setting, the price if good.  At an SCA setting with
my own personal expectation of meal and food item structure at a premier
Kingdom event, I would pass and encourage others to do so.

My first thought when reading the description of the meal is that there
was a huge profit being made on $8 or unfortunate prices on food.  I
don't want to spawn the three-headed demon of discourse on philosophy of
pricing, I just am curious if it is common practice in that part of the
counrty/kingdom to have profit margin in the feast costs.  Effectively
shopped, there should have been much over $3 to $3.25 on the plate
unless there was a large amount of cheese (the budget buster).
Efficiently shopped, the cost could be lower.

If the meal was indeed as described by the one person's point of view,
I personally would be unhappy to the point of making polite and
respectful conversation with the Feast Cook and Autocrat about my
concerns.

Please know that Your Mileage WILL Vary.  My estimates are based on my
shopping experiences and some personal experiences.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco