[Sca-cooks] Cost of feast

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 13 07:11:10 PST 2002

<Olwen> I have at hand here an example of a feast that, actually, I was head
cook for back last year at Garb Wars.  Can't recall the cost of feast
though, but most likely it was the 6 or 7 dollar price. The menu looked like
this;

Greetings,

If we are going to get into this, I would like to provide the following
example. My first feast was at an Arts event, so it was completely
documented. Throughout the planning stages my understanding was that my
feast budget was 4.50 per head. The upcharge for the event for being "on
board" was $6.00 ( the additional $ allocated for breakfasteses Sat & Sun).
I was incredibly paranoid about coming in over budget (this being my first
feast), so I worked long and hard to find dishes that would be filling and
inexpensive to serve.

When all was said and done, and we figured out the actual feast cost it came
out to about $3.75 per head, which was good because our group lost money in
other areas of the event. I do not think we broke even. There was an
enormous amount of food (each item was in large quantities) and the menu was
the following:

Course one
Homade Bread
Homemade Orange Marmalade (in two colors)
Bruet of Egges to Pottage (Cheese, egg & lemon soup)
Solietie: Tower of Red Marmalade

Course two
Grave of Chicken
Frumenty
Cariota
Cinnamon Tart
Soletie: Chaselet

Course three
Cormarye
Peascods
Mushroom Tarts
Fine Cakes
Tidbit for High Table: Spinach & cheese Ravioli

So, I have a very hard time with the idea that you cannot feed people till
they explode with a reasonable budget. And I cannot even imagine what I
would do with $8 a head.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva