[Sca-cooks] Interesting Idea for a Challenge

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Nov 13 12:58:24 PST 2002

At 07:51 AM 11/13/02,Sharon Gordon said something like:
>In Atlantia, the following challenge was held at Cattle Raids in September
>2002.  This might be fun to have at other events to help people get a
>smoother start into the SCA.
>
>I'd love to hear what people might do for a challenge like this.  Any
>ideas for creating really frugal feast gear?
>
>Sharon
>gordonse at one.net

I think I could have an unfair advantage, but 1.5 miles from my house is an
open air swap meet that has multiple vendors who sell the bits and end
pieces from the LA Garment District.

Three weekends ago I picked up silk, velveteen and velour to make a
complete knee length tunic and ankle length half circle cloak for a live
action player for a total of $9. Add on a couple of buttons that cost about
a nickel each (100 or so, in a bowl for $6), and 6 inches of rat tail cord
(15 yards/$1).  Then there are tankards a plenty in the local thrift shops.
You frequently end up patching the bottoms of them with beeswax to stop
leaks, but you won't spend more than $10 at most for one of those.

It can be done, and it can be done REALLY inexpensively.  I've also been
known to recommend to total newbies on a budget that they hit the Martha
Stewart bed sheets aisle, where you can find a flat twin size sheet for
about $4. That's quite enough to make a t-tunic or even a moderate
dress.  It's not the best stuff on the planet, but it washes/wears well,
and it will get you by until you figure out just what you want to do when
you go to buy the nicer stuff.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.