Assistance at Pennsic (OOP, somewhat OT)... was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: SCA Assisted living!

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Nov 18 14:42:17 PST 2002

>Do you mean assistance for the elderly, or
>for younger but otherwise impaired folks [blind, etc.]?  Our listmate
>Gorgeous Muirdeach goes to Pennsic and I don't think he has to rely on
>any "assistance" but his own wheels.

I relied on the goodwill of passerby to assist me up Rhunehill and other
nasty hills for things as simple as going to the bathroom, since the powers
that be didn't see it fit to have one accessible porta-potty anywhere
around the lake, despite several requests made a long time ahead.

There is a "lame duck" encampment that apparently provides electricity for
people in need of it for such basic things as power for their scooters, or
for their vent and/or C-Pap machines.  While this is great and I understand
that in a camp space such as Pennsic, electricity is difficult to go by, I
did not personally want to camp with the "gimp ghetto".  My choice, I would
prefer to camp with people I know and get along with.  Perhaps I'm a little
odd that way (and in many other ways!  LOL)

The fact is, most people don't need all that much assistance and tend to be
self-sufficient.  But before thinking about having an assisted living
encampment, how about some basic accessibility features?  And I'm not only
talking about physical access, I am thinking about things such as class
lists being available in a format usable by folks such as our Stefan and
Cariadoc, and other issues too.

<off my soap box>

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Clan of Odds