[Sca-cooks] period spectacles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 20:59:55 PST 2002

Glenda commented:
> I then get the optical
> people to reshape them for my reenactment lenses - last time it cost me
> under AUS$20 (about the cost of a main meal at an average restaurant here).

Oooh. An interesting idea. Although mine are a bit asymetric, left to right,
perhaps for my astigmatism, so I'm not sure how well they could be recut and
mounted in the right places. They are also high refractive plastic, but I
imagine that they would cut easy enough. Certainly worth investigating.

> Next time I get new lenses (which has to be before
> the end of this year), I'll do the same, and upgrade to a pair of pewter
> frames held by cord, as we've started doing pewterwork at home.
How would you make these out of pewter? Do you plan to cast these? Or

use other techniques? What is the evidence for period pewter frames in
period? When you've done more on this, I'd love to have an article on
this and a practical hands-on article on making such glasses. There
might be a number of use who might be willing to create such a pair
of glasses if we knew how. I'm not sure that I'd wear the wood/leather
frames I've seen but perhaps I would these.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com