[Sca-cooks] COPYING The secrets of the reverend Maister Alexis of Piemont

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Nov 21 06:36:16 PST 2002

Greetings from Johnnae llyn Lewis--

I just signed onto the list this am and discovered this thread regarding
burning cd's and files and .pdf's of the Alessio book.
As a professional librarian,
let me assure you that you do not want to do this.
This is illegal. This is moreover a public forum and as we have
discovered
from GOOGLE searches open to the world.

If this is an EEBO file and I believe that it is-- this file belongs to
Harvard as the holding library and to ProQuest which owns EEBO.

I interviewed the head of EEBO in September. This topic came up.

To make the long tale short-- they have a legal department that actively
goes after people who violate these copyrights. They have been to court
in the past regarding this business of burning cd's and downloading
their materials. They will go after people for this sort of activity and
it
will cost everyone involved in the activity lots of grief and money to
get
the situation resolved.

Even if this file is not an EEBO file,
you still do not want to be doing this. I also quite frankly would not
want to
be up against Harvard's legal department either. It's their volume and
they
also have rights.

This is just a bad idea all around. I realize that everyone just
wants to get the recipe that Robin wanted, but this is not the way
to do it.

Johnna Holloway
MS LIS