[Sca-cooks] COPYING The secrets of the reverend Maister Alexis of Piemont

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Nov 21 07:30:31 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "johnna holloway" <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
<<<SNIP>>>> Even if this file is not an EEBO file,
> you still do not want to be doing this. I also quite frankly would
not
> want to be up against Harvard's legal department either. It's their
volume and they also have rights.

> This is just a bad idea all around. I realize that everyone just
> wants to get the recipe that Robin wanted, but this is not the way
> to do it.
>
> Johnna Holloway
> MS LIS

I appreciate the warning and concern.  My preference always is to get
permission first, but I personally am willing to lean on the educational
use clause, and pay actual damages they (Harvard, or whoever thinks they
have incurred actual damages) have suffered from my owning a copy of a
file . . . if they win a lawsuit.  I gleen no personal profit, and have
a fairly "Ras"ian view of copyright laws (what I inferred of his
opinions, anyway).

Lots of attorneys have lots of opinions on the issue of 'fair use' and
copyright law, and I suspect that I am very low on the radar as opposed
to people who copy it and sell for profit.  Their could be lots of
material in the Florilegium for those interested in past discussions
about intellectual property and copyright law as pertains our hobby and
activities on SCA-Cooks.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco