Copyright and violation (sorry) ( was [Sca-cooks] COPYING The secrets of the . . . )

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Fri Nov 22 09:17:50 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Huette von Ahrens" <ahrenshav at yahoo.com>
<<<If you read the ProQuest policy again, you will
see that their copyright is limited to the images
of the book <<SNIP>> if you
transcribe it and put the transcription [not the
images] on a website, you will not be in
violation of their copyright.  <SNIP>
What Nicolo is saying is that he is too small a
fish for them to be concerned about.  I say
maybe.  <SNIP>.  I would hate to be
the one they test case on.  >>>>>>>>

I snipped out the main ideas I saw in the post.  Your first paragraph
is paramount to the discussion at hand.  Copyright law is very specific,
and the guys with the originally quoted policy have very limited
domain.

I sya that I am taking no monetary enrichment, and that I won't appear
on anyone's radar (unless I keep posting these kinds of messages <g>).
This is a calculated risk, like Huette aludes above.  I will hate it if
I am a test case and cannot negotiate an equitable settlement.  IF
someone somewhere can actually PROVE to a jury that I comitted a crime,
I'll possibly get jail time, and even a strike against me if I move to
the hell that is California (personal opinion).  Make your personal
educated choices rather than taking my word for anything.

I encourage people to educate themselves about the actual language in
Federal, International and local copyright statutes for themselves.
Accepting others' impressions interpretations can lead you to missing
reasonable and legal opportunities, or making illegal choices.  The
statutes really are very specific in language, though have areas for
interpretations and are not nearly as domineering as many would lead you
to believe.

Read and learn the laws, live within them and decide for yourself what
risks you are willing to take.  Seek to do no harm to holders of
copyrights, and contact people directly if you can before lurking in the
gray areas.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco