Copyright and violation (sorry) ( was [Sca-cooks] COPYING The secrets of the . . . )

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Nov 22 10:19:08 PST 2002

> I sya that I am taking no monetary enrichment, and that I won't appear
> on anyone's radar (unless I keep posting these kinds of messages <g>).
> This is a calculated risk, like Huette aludes above.  I will hate it if
> I am a test case and cannot negotiate an equitable settlement.

Worse yet, if you are using the computerized database version previously
mentioned, you could cause the license agreement for the organization get
access to that database through, to be pulled, thus removing access for
everyone at that organization and involving your organization in the
difficulties. There is a precedent for this, I'm sorry to say. This is
where we get into the troubled area of licensing of intellectual
materials.

Distributing the text (rather than the formatted files) is not a violation
of copyright. It is only when you distribute someone else's work (and
their work is the effort required to photograph & digitize the material),
that you run into trouble. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"It's no use trying to be clever- we are all clever here; just try
to be kind- a little kind." F. J. Foakes Jackson.