[Sca-cooks] OOP - Turkey, again!

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Mon Nov 25 10:44:33 PST 2002

   Does anyone know how to cook it _not too much_? Every year, my turkey
falls apart when my husband tries to lift it out of the pan. Meat falls off
the bone. I know, I know, that's a weird thing to be aggrivated about - but
it looks wonderfully golden and oh so "picture perfect Norman Rockwell" when
I take it out of the oven - then falls to pieces as soon as it's touched.
(Watching him lift the breast, ribs and all, off the rest of the bird as
he's trying to transfer it to the dish, then the rest of bird just separates
and divides down the middle, laying out like it's collapsing in exhaustion.
It's, well, embarrassing. Even if it does make scooping out the dressing
fairly easy.)
   *What* am I doing wrong? I'm following the temp/hour/pound scale
suggested by the company and only buttering it enough for a good golden
skin. The stuffing is plain (well, sage w/raisins and dates)... it baffles
me.

Rosine