[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green beans was Turkey, again!

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Tue Nov 26 06:18:13 PST 2002

>Does anyone know how or when (or why!) green beans became practically as
>much a part of the feast as the cranberry sauce? They're in half the
>listed menus, frequently as the casserole. They're not particularly
>seasonal, I can't think of any connection, they don't go better with
>turkey than any other green vegetable... Most of the other traditional
>accompaniments are seasonal.

     I've wondered this myself.  I don't remember them at my childhood Thanksgiving dinners, and I grew up in Minnesota!  But maybe that's because I was more interested in the *important* parts of the meal, the wild rice and the black olives.  When I moved to the grown-up table I got to sit next to my Great Great Aunt, who didn't like black olives.  She let me eat hers and put the pits back on her plate so nobody would know how many I'd had!

Sandra