[Sca-cooks] Re: OOP - Turkey, again!

Rosine rosine at sybercom.net
Tue Nov 26 06:59:54 PST 2002

> Also sprach Rosine:
> >I can tell that I left out an important point.
> > My turkeys are _never_ dry. In fact, it seems
> > almost as if they, well, steam cook rather than bake.
> >That's why they fall apart. Am I just weird? No
> > one else has this problem?

Adamantius replied:
> What kind of oven do you have? Is it properly
> calibrated for temperature? Do you keep the turkey
> covered for the entire process, by any chance?

A Tappan "one shelf".
It runs a steady 25 degrees hotter than whatever the control is set for.
Yes - Turkey gets baked for the majority of the time in a "foil tent",
 which is tightly sealed...oh. Hmmm.... "tightly sealed". Duh.

Never mind.
(Besides, my husband solemnly informed me, after reading over my shoulder,
that if I cooked it any other way than my traditional "falling off the
bone", he'd remember, quite carefully and specially, that my birthday was
the next day - and act accordingly. I don't believe I've heard his voice get
that creepy-gravely in a long while. So my dreams of "Norman Rockwell
perfection" will have to wait for another year. Or two, maybe.)