[Sca-cooks] Chestnuts - OOP (?)

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Tue Nov 26 18:46:04 PST 2002

If you are careful and watch them and not something else (say like the
baby) <G> Then it is actually possible to cook them in the fire place as
well.  I use a super heavy duty foil, two layers thick, then cut a slit
in the nuts or cut them in the middle almost in half or Yes you do get
lovely bullets shooting from the fire place.  Seal that foil up tight
and put onto the coals.  Pull them out in about 30-45 minutes.  I have
also cooked them in the oven as well.  Just as good but more fun with
the fire.  Warning however if they burn DO NOT eat the Burned parts even
a nibble.  I had the WORST Stomach cramps for the rest of the night
after ingesting the burned parts by accident.  (Hey I really wanted the
darn things I figured I could nibble around the burn) NOPE!!!!!!
Since I am not sure of what a hard sauce is I can't attest to that,  I
have always just scarfed them, as I usually don't have time to get sauce
on them before the others get in the room.
Nichola