[Sca-cooks] sugar substitutes (Mostly Aspartame, but not totally)

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Tue Nov 26 21:31:24 PST 2002

The formaldehyde theory for aspartame- now mind you this is heard from a
friend of a friend in the chemistry community (I was an industrial chemist
at the time)- There was a professor at a local university, who got left out
of the profits when it came time to make it into nutrasweet. Guess who was
the leader of the formaldehyde-in-aspartame campaign? This happened within a
month or two after the gumballs were in the mail introducing the new
sweetener to the public. Something about sodas left to get warm in the sun,
etc. The chemical was there, but in very teensy amounts.

Cecily