[Sca-cooks] Re: 100 Minutes dayboard soup

Marilyn Hillvic hillvicus at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 29 00:06:50 PST 2002

> Well, I didn't get a chance to see it, because I
> spent all day on the forge,
> helping folks burn up RR spikes ;-) but someone was
> kind enough to send me
> out some food, and it was just what a cold day
> needed. Certainly, much
> protein, but I also enjoyed the well cut carrot and
> celery sticks. I'd
> particularly like to compliment you on the soup- it
> was excellent- hit just
> the right spot.
>
> Recipe, please?
Phlip,
   I'm so sorry I missed you. I heard reports of your
mighty forge from my husband and children, but I was
also quite occupied during the day with kitchen
things.
   I'm also sorry to hear no one took care of your
need for food and drink. I'll see to it that next year
such things are not overlooked.I know you did amazing
work in Arctic conditions. Some day I'll look up what
45 degree temperatures with winds steady in the 20 MPH
range gusting to 50 mph does, but it is certainly a
test of the design of medieval garb. I was incredulous
to find that a 13th century linen/flannel/cotton twill
dress with a good wool cloak certainly does the job
for keeping you warm. But I saw fur skins on the
shoulders of people's cloaks and saw it was good. Now
back to food:

For about a gallon of beef noodle soup:
1) brown 6 pounds of beef (or 4 pounds of beef plus 2
pounds marrow bones) and a large onion in a bit of
olive oil. Shank beef is inexpensive and tasty.
2) add 1/2 cup of red wine (I had to avoid alcohol for
100 minutes, so I used a few tablinsteads of red wine
vinegar insead of the wine this time)
3)reduce the heat so simmer and *sweat* the beef
mixture for about 30 minutes, until a dark liquid
forms. This liquid is your soup flavor. Without it,
the soup will be bland and dish-watery.
4)add about 2 quarts of water and bring it to a boil,
then reduce to a simmer for about 3 hours
5)cool, skim any fat, discard any bones, and shred the
beef to bite size pieces. This tastes
betterrefrigerator it sit in the refridgerator
overnight before using it for soup, but it's the kind
of first day-vs-second day flavor thing so please try
it both ways.
6)the next day, or later, depending on your likes,
dice 1 onion, 1 sliced white part of the leek, 2
carrots, 1 stalk celery, 1 small can of tomatoes if
you are not in period, 1/2 tsp thyme dried or 1 1/2
tsp minced fresh thyme, 2 cups dried egg noodles, some
black pepper to taste, 2 cups of egg noodles, and 1/4
cup fresh parsley leaves and add it to the 2 quarts of
beef stock you made. Simmer for about 20 minutes or
half an hour, until the veggies are not crunchy and
the flavors have blended. Serve it forth with crusty
bread and you have a satisfying hot meal.

Again,to'll get the entire report out ot you all. I
whichso made a satisfying pea soup nwhich was burned
because of the size of the kitchen and my assumption
that someone standing next to the soup will stir it.
So it was tossed. More tales of the kitchen to follow.
         --Marion