[Sca-cooks] beer in food

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 30 08:34:35 PST 2002

I've had great success with the Lente Frytoures recipe from Two Fifteenth Century Cokery Books.  Duke Cariadoc's and Elizabeth Cook's redaction from The Miscellany follows:Lente Frytoures
Two Fifteenth Century p. 96/74
Take good flour, ale yeast, saffron and salt, and beat all together as thick as other manner fritters of flesh; and then take apples, and pare them, and cut them in manner of fritters, and wet them in the batter up and down, and fry them in oil, and cast them in a dish, and cast sugar thereon enough, and serve them forth hot.
batter:
2 1/3 c flour
12 ounces beer
3 t yeast
6 threads saffron
2 t salt

5 apples pared and sliced into 1/16ths
about 1/2 box powdered sugar sprinkled over
oil for frying
Fry them in a deep skillet with about 3/4" of oil.

Mordonna

 Barbara Benson <vox8 at mindspring.com> wrote:Does anyone have any good period recipes that use beer or ale? Or I
do have this file in the Florilegium and it might be nice to add more to it.

Greetings,

I have an interpretation of Filets in Galentyne that I went with the Ale
option (Left out the blood tho). I think there is a version in Master C's
Misc, but he went with saunders.

Every time I have served it, it has gone over very well (to the extent of
people sopping up the sauce with bread when all of the meat had departed).

Pork in Ale Sauce