[Sca-cooks] Crème Fraîche question

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Thu Oct 3 07:10:17 PDT 2002

Greetings,

I need 2 cups of Crème Fraîche for a dish that I will
be making this Saturday.

I can't find Crème Fraîche locally, but did find 2
methods on the net.

Any comments on these?  Will they work?

Crème Fraîche

1 part sour cream
2 parts whipped cream

Mix together thoroughly and leave in room temperature
for 5-6 hours to thicken. When the Crème Fraîche has
thickened, place it in the fridge and it should be
usable for about 10 days.

Crème Fraîche

1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons buttermilk

Combine heavy cream and buttermilk in a jar. Mix with
a spoon, but do not shake. Close jar. Allow mixture to
sit at room temperature until cream is consistency of
loose gelatin. This can be anywhere from 6 to 24 hours,
depending on how warm your kitchen is. At this point,
refrigerate 6 hours before using.

Thanks in advance.

I am,
Vincenzo Martino Mazza,