[Sca-cooks] Re: SCAdians vehicles, WAS: Drakey's driving.

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 13 18:36:24 PDT 2002

A F Murphy <afmmurphy at earthlink.net>
>Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>  >Or you learn to pare down...
>  >
>  >Not a word from the peanut gallery now...
>  >
>  >'Lainie
>
>Well, there is a subset of us here who do travel light... Living in
>apartments and traveling on the subway will make you do that! I know a
>woman who usually has everything she needs for an event in a large
>basket. I'm not that good yet, but I'm trying to learn...  It does limit
>what we can do, though. Doesn't eliminate anything - I know fighters who
>carry their gear on the subways - but then they're not going to carry a
>lot of other stuff to events!
>
>Anne

Well, Anne, that wouldn't work too well out here in The West. All our
Kingdom events except our 2 Collegia and 12th Night are camping
events (and we even have an A&S Tourney which is basically a week-end
long camp-out collegium).

So are almost all the events in the two Northern California
Principalities of The West, The Mists and Cynagua, except perhaps for
the two Investitures in each, and The Mists Bardic. I can't speak for
Oertha (Alaska), our third Principality, and, well, Lochac is no
longer our Principality, since it became a Kingdom this year :-)

We camp here from March through October, and go to camping events
(ok, wars) that aren't *too* far away (Caid and Atenveldt) in
November and February. (and trust me, it can get pretty cold at night
at both ends of the year)

It would be darn hard to camp in the wind and the rain with only a
goodie basket :-)

I did spend my first 1-1/2 years without a car. I generally went to
events with a small 1/2 Dome tent, a sleeping bag, a garb bag, a food
bag, and a project bag. I suppose i *could* have trekked it all out
with a large backpack, but the pinched nerves in my left shoulder
wouldn't have been able to take it - the fingers in my left hand go
numb, and i'm left handed.

Now i have an old mid-size station wagon, which gets VERY full of my
stuff. I'm thinking of buying one of those streamlined "boxes" that
attach to the roof of the car. I'd like to replace my Coleman camp
cot with futon for a slat bed, and i'd like an additional lightweight
folding table to add to the kitchen and a "peri-oid" wooden table and
benches for eating and visiting. Now folks tell me my car can pull a
small trailer, so...

Anahita