[Sca-cooks] Indian Food Fans - recipe needed. OT OOP

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 12:54:48 PDT 2002

This is a challenging request, but I've been on (and off, and on) this list for enough years to know that I'm likely to get multiple correct responses so here goes:

I need a specific recipe from one of Madhur Jaffrey's cookbooks.

 I'm very bad at remembering titles, it's sort of a ho-hum title anyway.  'Cuisine of India' or 'Foods of India' or 'Indian Cooking'.   It's the oversize book with much more non-recipe text than most of her other books, and many more food and non-food full page color pictures too.  It's on the bottom shelf of the third section of the 4th shelf of the long shelves that begin near the JobFind area on the second floor of the Durham Public Library,  That's how my brain works, no title, just a useless location as I now live 3000 miles from there.  A library here has it also, (Heritage Park, 3rd shelf from the right, on the park side of the building, 2 sections in, eye level) but they remodeled this summer and it may be moved)  Anyway, I can't get to that particular library today.

However, TONIGHT I want to make the recipe that I know is in that book.  Of course I don't rememer the name!  It is sort of a rice salad, with yogurt, the little yellow dal  and cilantro.  Mint too I think.  A small amount of crushed red chilis are fried, and poured still sizzling into the mixture but it is served cooled and is not really a spicy dish.

It will go well with a chicken recipe I put on to marinate last night and will grill this evening, but none of the Indian cookbooks I own has a recipe enough like it.  Thought I could make it to the library, but thats not going to work out.  I'll make something up by memory if I have to, but it's been more than two years since I've made this and I'm probably forgetting some ingredient or step.

fingers crossed,

Bonne