[Sca-cooks] Re: Indian Food Fans - recipe needed. OT OOP

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 18:42:20 PDT 2002

message snipped:
> I need a specific recipe from one of Madhur
> Jaffrey's cookbooks.
It is sort of a rice salad, with yogurt, the little
yellow dal  and cilantro.  Mint too I
> think.  A small amount of crushed red chilis are
fried, and poured still sizzling into the mixture but
it is served cooled and is not really a spicy dish.

Hope this is not too late as I get SCA cooks in digest
form.
The book is Madhur Jaffrey, A Taste of India,
published by Macmillan in 1995.
The recipe is Yoghurt rice.
Serves 4
6oz/1 cup long grain rice
8fl oz/1 cup plain yoghurt
3/4 tsp salt
1-2 fresh hot green chillis
1/2 in/1cm cube of fresh ginger peeled
1 tbs vegetable oil
1/2 tsp whole black mustard seeds
1/8 tsp skinned urad dal
8 - 10 fresh curry leaves
2 dried hot red chillis
1 tblsp finely chopped green coriander

Pick over rice, wash, drain, cover by 2 in with water,
leave to soak 20-30 mins.  Drain.
Put the yoghurt in a bowl add the salt, beat lightly
till creamy.
Bring 5 pints/12 cups water to a rolling boil in a big
pan.  Drop in the rice, stir and bring to a boil.
Boil for 12 minutes until rice is slightly soft.
Drain and put in a bowl.  Add the yoghurt to hot rice
and stir gently.  Chop green chilli and ginger finely.
Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when they pop add urad
dal.  When dal turns red add curry leaves and dried
chillies, when chillies darken lift and pour contents
over rice. Sprinkle the green chilli and coriander
over the rice and mix. Do not refrigerate serve at
room temp.

Hope that this was not a duplicate and arrived in
time.
Love that book as much for the stories and pictures as
the food.

Helewyse