[Sca-cooks] RE: Rat recipes

vongraph vongraph at comcast.net
Tue Oct 1 05:15:25 PDT 2002

AS served at Harper's Rest Tavern, Trimaris

Rat on a stick. making aprox 100 one third pound "rats"

grind 11 pounds of pork shoulder

grind 22 pounds of beef

combine the two meats and mix well, while mixing add two dozen eggs and
three one pound boxes of unseasoned bread crumbs (for firming mixture)

also during mixing add one pound of dates chopped fine. and three packages
of onion soup mix (not three boxes)

add three tablespoons of salt and four table spoons of pepper (or to
personal taste)

Weight out portions of 1/3 pound each, shape to vaguely "rat" shape add
raisins for eyes. you can now freeze the "rats" in freezer bags (I freeze
eight to a bag so they lay flat in freezer)

Prep: After thawing place previously soaked "stick" (shiskabob sticks soaked
for couple hours in water) into rat (end without eyes) and cook. This
process makes for numerous comments and jokes to relax staff.

Cooking at 350 - 275 degrees for aprox 1 and one half hours or until done
depending on oven. We cook them in large propane fired smoker and turn out
about sixty per batch. if your rotating the meat as you cook (in other words
some going in as the cooked meat comes out you put in say twenty rats then
fifteen minutes later put in another twenty then fifteen minutes later put
in another twenty (use whatever number of rats fit in your cooker, divided
by three), this way about forty five minutes after the last group are put in
the cooker the first group are ready to serve. You remove the first goup put
in cooker and replace them with more to be cooked. this way every fifteen
minutes you can remove cooked rats. With a 30 to 45 minute break between the
first fifty and the second fifty. if your able to use two cookers you can
space out the entry and have hot rats coming out every 15 minutes by
starting the first group in the second cooker 15 minutes after the last
group in the first cooker.
If you keep rats in warmer be sure to use water tray to prevent drying.
> competitive price per Rat should be aprox $3.00 with 900  to 1000 people
at event we sell about 150 rats a day, but we are selling eight other menue
items as well and we only serv form 10:30 until about 4:30. Good luck in
your endevor.

YIS, Elric, Harper's Raid Tavern