[Sca-cooks] Re: Hello! and questions(Saffron)...

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 7 10:46:38 PDT 2002

<Madhavi>  I made the endoring paste very thick, thicker than elmer's glue,
with egg yolks, bread
> flour and saffron threads I powdered in a mortar with a tiny amount of
sugar (this helps in grinding to a powder).

Greetings,

Being uncertain as to what exactly is in the endoring I will offer a general
suggestion on saffron. When I work with saffron (assuming there is some
liquid in the recepit) I always steep the saffron in warmed liquid for at
least 10 minutes. In that way you can leach a great deal of the color and
flavour out of the spice without using an overwhelming amount of the spice.
If you found your results to be offensively saffrony then you might be well
served by cutting back drastically on the amount and steeping it until you
get the color you desire. A very small amount of saffron can produce a very
nice color and be virtually tasteless - just let it sit!

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva