[Sca-cooks] Roman recipes (pre-period? On topic :-p)

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 08:11:52 PDT 2002

chick peas = garbanzo beans, no, you are not delusional.   But still, although I've eaten 'fresh from the field' as well as 'cooked from dried' versions of many kinds of peas and beans, I've never heard of anyone eating fresh from the field chick peas/garbanzos. So, I was curious if anyone else thought the phrase 'plump in their tender youth'  was implying such fresh chick peas were to be used in this dish.  I regularly shop at a persian grocery and a middle easter grocery, both of which sell dried and canned cooked from dried chickpeas, but no fresh or canned from fresh chick peas. It may be that eating fresh chickpeas just isn't done these days.  But it seemed an odd phrase to use for dried beans so maybe it used to be done.
(I'm hoping you know I'm not criticizing your interpretation of the recipe.  Just vocalizing a curiosity, and realizing what trouble such curiosity would put me to if I were trying the dish.  Looks like I'd have to grow my own fresh chick peas to test my theory!)
Bonne
 Nancy Kiel wrote:I thought chick peas were the same as garbanzo beans. Have I been laboring
under a delusion all these years? Anne S.