Couscous? Re: [Sca-cooks] Payn Purdew

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Oct 8 08:47:17 PDT 2002

Yes.  There are a number of recipes for it/involving it in the Anonymous
Andalusian cookbook, at the very least.  And there are references to a
couscouserie (sp?)--that specialized kitchen equipment you make "the
real thing" in. All the references I've run across, though, are in a
stew/meat/"dinner food" context, and not what we'd (now) consider a
breakfast dish.
Interestingly enough, it doesn't always refer to the couscous as we know
it today.  There's at least one recipe in there for a couscous made with
dried bread crumbs that are steamed.  It's on my list to try some day
when I have time.
I'd guess it's a word with multiple uses, kinda like the English word
"dumpling."
--Maire