[Sca-cooks] Dangerous to Eat

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Oct 11 21:23:35 PDT 2002

Was written:

> well, given that there are very few parts of animals that are
> actually dangerous to eat, (seal livers? too much vitamin A, ISTR)
> not terribly surprising in a subsistence culture.

Don't know about seal liver... Nanna might know... but polar bear liver,
according to one official survival manual I have read, has to much vitamin A
or was it vitamin E? and thus should not be eaten.  Seggy I'll bet you know
the which it is.

Be that as it may I think that it is rather unlikely that I should ever be
tempted.

Oddly polar bears to figure in several "period stories" I can recall.  One
is Saxon and regards Herward the Wake (Herward and the Fairy Bear) and the
second a Norse story called "Somebody (I can't recall who) and the Polar
Bear".   It is in Magnus Magnasson's "Tales From Viking Times."

Daniel Raoul, who at this moment seems to be free associating.