HEY GUNTHAR! RE: [Sca-cooks] Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 14 12:51:40 PDT 2002

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>BTW, oh He Who Is So Particular About Cast Iron, who the h*ll do you get
>things like garlic and curry out of the cast iron if you don't hit it with
>a slpash of very hot water and a leete swish of soap on occasion? I really
>hate it when my pancakes taste of last night's dinner.

Presumably the flavor fades after a while, and this is facilitated by
having more than one iron pan. I try never to use soap or detergent
on mine, unless absolutely to get it clean otherwise.

One thing I've found recently to be nearly indispensable are the
cheap brushes you see being used to clean woks in your local Chinese
takeout. They do stock removal of cooked-on crud about as well as a
metal or plastic scrunger, but don't damage seasoned pans or, I
suspect, non-stick coated ones.

The thing about properly seasoned pans is that they are relatively
non-porous, and don't absorb much in the way of off-odors. The trick
is to clean them without bringing them back to the bare metal again.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER