HEY GUNTHAR! RE: [Sca-cooks] Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Oct 14 13:14:40 PDT 2002

At 03:51 PM 10/14/02 -0400, you wrote:

>One thing I've found recently to be nearly indispensable are the
>cheap brushes you see being used to clean woks in your local Chinese
>takeout. They do stock removal of cooked-on crud about as well as a
>metal or plastic scrunger, but don't damage seasoned pans or, I
>suspect, non-stick coated ones.

Like the sisal brush we use on potatoes?

>The thing about properly seasoned pans is that they are relatively
>non-porous, and don't absorb much in the way of off-odors. The trick
>is to clean them without bringing them back to the bare metal again.

I'm not talking about bare metal- I don't want to damage the seasoning. I'm
talking about a quick swish with a sponge, to get the *grease* off, which
is where most of the stuff is. Quick wish with HOT water and leetl light
soap, rinse with more HOT water, pop back onto HOT burner until water
evaporates, wipe down with more oil, and let cool. The finish is still
there, and it's protected with a layer of oil. It's always worked for me.
Mind you, I don't wash the pan when Himself is in the room. He gets twitchy.

'Lainie