[Sca-cooks] re: Advice on cleaning deep frying pots

robert frazier robertblacksmith at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 09:58:21 PDT 2002

the best way to "start over" with cast iron is put it
in your oven and run the self cleaning setting.it will
leave a little gray ash on the surface but there will
be no finish at all! oil it right away.
i have used this method on a number of my cast iron
finds(29 frying pans,3 leged dutches,2 unleged
dutches,5 pans,and 2 i'm not sure).
the old way is to put them into the wood stove at bed
time pull them out in the morning or put them into the
camp fire last thing be for going to bed.

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I could use some advice.  I have two big cast-iron
> dutch ovens with entirely
> burnt-on surfaces.  I got delayed at war HQ while
> dinner was cooking in the
> embers.  The middle was still tasty enough and
> that's what we ate, but it's
> going to be a difficult process.  I'm thinking of
> going the soaking and
> wire-bruch route, then re-seasoning the whole
> things.  Sigh.  Advice please?
>
> Selene Colfox

=====
robert frazier