[Sca-cooks] Re: Need new name for DayBoard

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 05:08:33 PDT 2002

The funny thing is that when you look at the menus in
Scappi two to three of the courses in any given menu
are literally served cold from the sideboard.  Of
course in period they would be dished up and handed
out and the sideboard in question is a large wooden
cabinet (Scappi has a picture of one in the back).
But it is certainly a valid use of the term.  Dishes
prepared in advance and served cold.
When I started translating the recipes I realized how
perfect it was for cooking a SCA feast from an under
equipped kitchen (a single 1950s household electric
stove with a 1' x 1' x1.5' oven).  It means for my
feast that 70% of the feast will be cooked and
prepared in advance, leaving minor cooking for the day
itself. Plus I could not resist documenting the menu
and the recipes.
Helewyse
Serena da Riva wrote:
snipped for length
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to
what I could call it other than a "DayBoard"  The
thing that made me think of this was Helewyse's
post of her Yule Tide menu that featured nifty names
for the courses - I particularly like Servito di
Credenza. Sounds like a good sub for DayBoard -
what say you all?