[Sca-cooks] Should I be doing this?

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:11:05 PDT 2002

At the last officer's meeting, the autocrat for our annual February event
was bemoaning the fact that three different head cooks had backed out on
her.  My wife (who is very pregnant) leaned over and whispered, "You want to
do it?  The baby should be about four months old by then."  So I talked with
the autocrat, got some ideas, and started putting together a menu and a bid.

Later on it hit me: we're going to have an infant child on our hands.
Preparing a feast is a pretty big commitment.  Am I taking on too much?
I've arranged what looks to be a relatively simple menu: plates of nibbles
and dips, bread, fruit, three braised dishes (chicken, beef and lamb) served
with rice and couscous, a couple of vegetable dishes, and dessert.  My
Laurel (the other Master A) has volunteered to be my 'drop-dead' for this.
If for some reason I can't follow through, he'll take over for me.

This is our first baby.  I have no direct experience of how much time this
kid is going to take.  Should I even be trying this? Am I making myself an
early candidate for baldness and the galumphing hangnails?  Or should I damn
the torpedoes and start shopping?

Sincerely,

Vicente

If you get into a jam, you can always eat something, blow something up or
throw penguins. --Jim Henson