[Sca-cooks] Egg Yolks (OOP, OT)

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Thu Oct 24 17:02:01 PDT 2002

Egg yolks?  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  Zabaglione mmmmmmmmmmm yummmmy!

That will use up 12 egg yolks in a warm mildly alcoholic flash... Here is a recipe I found on the 'net which looks just like the one I use at home.

Zabaglione
Zabaglione is classic Italian wine custard, served warm or cold in wine glasses or dessert bowls. You can also spoon it over fresh sliced strawberries or peaches, or pound cake.

4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup sweet Marsala wine

Place the egg yolks in the top of a double boiler in a heatproof bowl that will fit snugly over a larger pan. Place on a folded kitchen towel and beat with a whisk or hand-held electric mixer until pale yellow. Beat in the sugar about 1/2 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the wine.
Pour about 1-inch of water in the bottom part of the double boiler and heat to simmering, not boiling. Reduce the heat to low. Set the top of the double boiler or the heatproof bowl over the simmering water and beat the zabaglione with a wire whisk until thick and foamy, at least 7 minutes. Pour into 4 wineglasses or dessert bowls.*

* Serve hot or cold it doesn't matter - and I would make at the least a double batch of this recipe and use red wine glasses.

Kiriel