[Sca-cooks] European Fast Days?

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Oct 28 09:33:19 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "A F Murphy" <afmmurphy at earthlink.net>
> This sounds Eastern Orthodox to me. Partly some of the holidays
> mentioned, partly the reference to "fish, oil and wine."
<<SNIP>>>
> Now, it is good to see references to the Orthodox Churches, as so
much about the Middle Ages pretty much ignores them, but I don't know
how much might be the same, and how much might be different, in the
Latin Rite.>
> Anne

The Christian Church major body was one until the latter part of the
10th century and the "Great Schism".  The Roman bishop broke from the
other 5 (?) and proclaimed his supremecy over the others.
Excopmmunication ensued for both parties, and the Roman Catholic Church
and the Eatern Orthodoxy were separate.  Give or take an Iconoclasm,
they were one until that time.  Seems it was around 1089, give or take
20 years.  Given the temporal proximity of the schism, it makes sense
that the similarities in rites and observances were pretty similar for
at least a few centuries (not withstanding selling indulgences in the
Roman Church and the like).

niccolo difrancesco