[Sca-cooks] Drakey's latest accident story...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Oct 30 07:00:09 PST 2002

Olwen skrev:

> Am I the only one who doesn't get this part??  In Drakes original missive
he
> talks about "2 proto-apprentice's" and in this one he is talking about his
> apprentices.  Well, I am not a Laurel, nor will I ever play one on tv,
but,
> here in Atlantia anyway, I was pretty sure you have to actually *be* a
full
> fledged Laurel to ~have~ apprentii.  Aren't you jumping the gun a bit
there
> Drakey??

Not in the least. "Apprentice" is not an official SCA position, but rather a
widely recognized relationship in SCA. Many Guilds have Aprentices- to
become a Chirurgeon, for example, I served as an Apprentice throughout
Pennsic XXV, and later became a Journeyman when my Kingdom Chirurgeon
Warranted me.

At one time, Johan and I were discussing mutually Apprenticing each other-
he would be my Chirurgeonate Apprentice ( it's not usual to have a
"personal" apprentice in the Chirurgeonate, but exceptions can be made- in
this case, because of working with and around his MS) and similarly, I would
be his Apprentice in Blacksmithing. He's not a Laurel, but he's a damned
fine blacksmith, and learning from each other is a joy for both of us. The
Smithing, however, would actually be a mundane relationship, although we
both usually do our smithing in an SCA context.

I probably wouldn't Apprentice to any Laurel in SCA, except perhaps
Adamantius, but since that's again, a personal relationship, I'm perfectly
happy with my status as his student. I can learn from him, aggravate the
blazes out of him, and share a firm friendship with him, but I'm still
responsible for myself- and that's what I want and need in an SCA
relationship.

Phlip