[Sca-cooks] Meadshtufff

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Sep 8 20:39:07 PDT 2002

Well, folks, I just got back earlier from one of the best small events I've
ever been to, in any Kingdom- if you weren't there you missed a great time
;-)

I'm referring to the John Barleycorn event, held in and by Northpass, in
Ostgardr, a bit north of New York City.

In a nutshell, the event was fun, well run, and low key, the fighting was
very good, and very chivalrous, the site was beautiful, and the feast was
excellent ;-) There was also some very good bardic done.

As many of you know, I'm new to the East Kingdom, and this makes my third EK
event- the other two were the Crown Tourney during Timothy and Gabriel's
last reign, and 12th Night, this year, at both of which I had the honor of
helping Adamantius cook. I had intended to help cook at this one, too, since
my dear friend, Avraham, was assistant Head Cook, but last week, I
discovered that they didn't have a Chirurgeon, so I volunteered for that
job. I'm now rather glad that I did, despite being a bit disappointed at the
time, because now I can brag on the Feast ;-)

Patricia and Avraham did an absolutely wonderful job, and weren"t terribly
late (about half an hour to an hour) despite dealing with some pretty severe
difficulties- there was no water in the kitchen Friday night during their
intended pre-prep, and it was discovered that one of the two ovens they
needed for the chicken wasn't working- they had to borrow one at another
campsite, about half a mile down the road. I strongly believe that they
should both receive a Burdened Tyger, for excellence under extreme
difficulty.

The food was not documentably period, but it was truly excellent- perfectly
spiced and prepared, and plenty of it, served in a timely manner. I was VERY
impressed, and I have approached Patricia, asking if I might be allowed to
assist her at her next feast.

Instead of being in the kitchen, I spent all day on the List field, watching
the fighting. Sir Edward ran a very nice tourney, and I was particularly
charmed by the quality of combat, and the chivalry displayed. Also, as a
Chirurgeon, I was impressed by the very sensible manner in which all
concerned behaved, demonstrating both good sense and good judgement in their
actions. Hoobah, and Vivat, fighters, fencers, archers and spectators. I
LIKE being bored ;-)

As described above, the feast was excellent, and I very much enjoyed the
company of my friend Ann, from Cook's List at dinner, and the conversations
I shared with Vincenzo, a once and future member of Cook's List. I was also
very impressed by the gentleman who played the Period music on his violin- I
didn't get his name, but I will!!! It was beautiful ;-)

The conversations I shared with people throughout the event were great- not
a bit of the backbiting and nastiness that can be found at too many events,
but rather, pleasant conversation on SCAdian subjects, with interesting and
aware people. I would particularly like to thank Sir Edward, for the
discussion he had with me on a matter on which we must, for the time being,
agree to disagree. Sir Edward, you have earned my respect and my honest
liking. I would be honored to disagree with more folk like you ;-)

Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank the event staff for a
beautifully run event. They were led by Lady Aurora ffolkes, who did a
marvelous job as autocrat. More events should be as well-run ;-)

Good Gentlefolk, I offer a rousing Hoobah and Vivat, as well as Well
Done!!!!!

Thank you ;-)

Phlip

Never a horse that cain't be rode,